Utility companies are adapting their infrastructures to support bidirectional energy flow to handle the emergence of DER (Distributed Energy Resources) via microgrids, photovoltaic panels, and local energy storage. As distributed energy generation increases, new intelligence of sensors, measurement and protection equipment will be required to process data at the edge. Also with the increase in variable DER, it is more challenging for substations to deliver sinusoidal and predictable steady-state voltage and current. Utility companies rely on substation metering of secondary voltage (VT) and current transformer (CT) circuits to detect performance issues and to provide vital information in real time to distributed digital protection nodes.
To satisfy this need, SystemCORP and Intel developed an IEC 61850-9-2LE compliant merging unit solution in form of a demonstrator/development platform.
This development kit consists of 6 parts:
- NovTech IoT Octopus Smart Grid IoT Platform
- SystemCORP VT/CT Interface board
- SystemCORP IEC 61850-9-2LE Sample Value software stack (PIS-11) on ARM Cortex A9 core 1
- SystemCORP IEC standard 61850 server/client software stack (PIS-10) on ARM Cortex A9 core 2 (optional)
- Flexibilis embedded FPGA analogue front-end IP core
- Flexibilis Ethernet PRP/HSR FPGA IP core (optional)
NovTech IoT Octopus Development Platform
The NovTech IoT OctopusDevelopment Platform consists of:
- A Cyclone V SoC FPGA with integrated dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 Hard Processor System (HPS)
- A GPS receiver that provides the necessary UTC-time synchronization
- An 8-channel, 24-bit delta-sigma ADC to acquire the waveform samples
The platform synchronizes the sampling process to the UTC-time reference provided by the GPS receiver, independently of the sampling rate (FS). The sampling process produces raw samples that are:
- Time-aligned with the GPS pulse per second (PPS)
- Separated by the desired sampling time, TS=1/FS (FS sampling rate)
In order to provide a fast and reliable Ethernet communication, the platform supports 10/100/1000 Ethernet, IEC 62439-3-compliant implementations of PRP/HSR, support for IEEE 1588-2008, and requires no external memory.
Click here to find out more about Intel FPGA
Click here to find out more about Intel in Energy
Click here to find out more about the NovTech IoT Octopus
Click here to find out more about Flexibilis FPGA IP Cores
SystemCORP VT/CT Interface Board
The SystemCORP VT/CT Interface Board provides isolated and safe VT and CT interface channels for the IoT Octopus module. It allows the module to directly connect to secondary VT and CT circuits in a substation or to any protection-relay testing equipment that simulates VT and CT circuits. AC measurements in a substation are typically 110 V AC for voltage measurements and 1/5 Amp AC for current measurement provided by secondary VT and CTs.
Click here to find out more about SystemCORP VT/CT Interface Board
SystemCORP IEC 61850-9-2LE Sample Value software stack (PIS-11)
SystemCORP has developed a IEC 61850-9-2LE Sample Value software stack (PIS-11) running at real-time on the the Intel Cyclone V SoC. Based on Intel FPGA technology powered by Wind River VxWorks real-time operating system, our Sample Value software stack is capable to sample 3-phase + 1 VTs and CTs and publish IEC 61850 sampled values (SV) packets over the network at the rate of 80 samples / Hz (ie 4000 samples / second @ 50Hz, or 4600 samples / second @ 60Hz).
Click here to find out more about SystemCORP IEC 61850-9-2LE Sample Value software stack (PIS-11)